Thursday, May 29, 2008

Eternal Moment: Ending

I felt a sharp pain as the rope tightened around my hands. Was I going to be bound to this boy forever, wondering the earth as his prisoner?

The sudden tug told me it was time to keep moving. A tear trickled down my cheek.

* * *

We reached the edge of the country, the edge of nowhere. He turned to me and grabbed my hands, pulling me toward him. Using his other hand he pushed my face toward his and kissed me. My eyes stared at his, which were closed. I returned the kiss, resting my tied hands on his chest.

Was this really happening?

Why did I return the kiss?

His lips parted with mine. He untied my hands. “You’re free now.” He said to me as he walked away.

He hesitated for a moment. I thought about how he had protected me throughout our entire journey; this journey to my exile. I thought about the night before I tried to run, when he bought me clothes when mine were covered in my own blood. I thought about how he saved me from death. I thought about him.

I suddenly found myself walking towards him. I broke into a run, my arms outstretched. He turned around when he heard me call his name. I jumped on him, knocking him over on the dirt.

I kissed him. He returned it.

We lay there for what seemed like an endless amount of time in each other’s arms until he got up and pulled me up.

I looked at my wrists. They were red from the ropes. He took my hands in his and kissed my wrists.

We started walking toward our shared exile. At least we would be together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.